View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Making 15k a month to losing everything I have in world...

when you were down to $24k you pretty much had enough to play at 10/20 I think.

$14k in reserve for your next 2 months worth of living expenses ($4.8k minimum you say....so I would 'round' it up to $7k/mth to be safer).

And the remaining $10k is your 500BB's at 10/20.
In your shoes I would probably be playing at 5/10 by this point though.

even with a roll of $20-$24k and monthly expenses of only $1.5k/mth one could justify 'playing it safe' and just sticking with the 5/10 for a little while (this is roughly my situation currently).

for $1.2k/week as you are hoping to make.

with a $9k bankroll I believe it is possible for the accomplished multi-tabler but high-risk (and I still would recommend selling stuff anbd/or getting a job).

If you can win 1BB/hr (or roughly 1.3BB/100 on the 5/10 6-max tables)

5/10 6-max X 4 tables = $40/hr
$40/hr X 40 hours = $1600/wk

These types of calculations should be pretty obvious to you anyway.

Also, this is cutting it REALLY close since you will be pulling a LOT of money out of your total bankroll on a regular basis. Personally, I would not be comfortable trying this AT ALL as your risk-of-ruin is pretty high but I do think one could pull it off.
If one were to try to rebuild in this way one would need to have a DEFINITE game-plan for what to do if your bankroll were to fall to $5k or $4k.

Can you sell the car? Can you pull it off at 3/6? At what point will you say "at such-and-such point I will have to leave poker and get a job and maybe re-build my poker bankroll from scratch on the side?"

In other words, grinding your way back at 5/10 can NOT be your only plan as there is a decent chance it won't work.

You're already shown that you're somewhat prone to tilt. blowing through your WHOLE $120k bankroll in one month and staying at a 100/200 tables with your last $10k are evidence of that. Consequently, I might recommend a time-out from poker for a little bit as well as a sale of some of your more pricey toys.