Thread: Bush's response
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Bush\'s response

[ QUOTE ]
I believe there's been plenty written about the travesties of justice... Lawyer's spending 15 minutes prepping for their cases... sleeping in court was my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly why we have appellate courts...

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of the state's laws... As Governor, he could grant clemency. He didn't. It contradicts his statement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could and should are two different things. He should follow the recommendations of the jury and judge during the sentencing phase of trial, and not just grant clemency to every person on death row simply because he (hypothetically) didn't like the DP.

[ QUOTE ]
Who was saved from whom? Its been adequately shown that Saddam was a threat to no one. There was no reason to invade the country.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know...perhaps the innocent Iraqis being tortured to death? Perhaps the women who were raped in front of their families? Perhaps the Kurds who've been the victims of ethnic cleansing?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about this administration trying to excuse themselves from torture because the Geneva Convention was outdated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me exactly where Bush or any other high official in the Bush admin approved torture because "the Geneva Convention was outdated". (I already know you're going to point to Gonzalez, but I want an exact quote of those exact words)

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you bringing up Clinton? What's he have to do with Bush's hypocrisy/dishonesty?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was pre-empting the issue of rendition, which some have falsely attributed to the Bush admin.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that makes sense. 100s have already been let go after 1 or 2 of incarceration because... they didn't do anything. BTW... it used to be 'Republican' to argue for the Constitution and following the law. Its only the new breed on neoconservative who are into picking and choosing when they need to follow the laws, screw with the Constituion, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hundreds? Could you back that up please?
Either way, there are many legit terrorists sitting in Gitmo.
BTW, where in the Constitution does it say we need to provide lawyers etc, to foreign terrorists?

[ QUOTE ]
No they haven't.

[/ QUOTE ]
By the definition of our trials, yes they have.

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently you've missed the numerous findings where people (because of new DNA evidence or whatever) were pulled off death row because they were proven innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why we have appellate courts as well as orgs such as the Innocence Project.

[ QUOTE ]
There is plenty of doubt as to their guilt, but the court doesn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is whether there is reasonable doubt, not whether there is any doubt.

[ QUOTE ]
You're confusing a legal ruling with truth. They are not one and the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm doing no such thing. Our criminal courts convict people on the principal of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Capital cases usually have higher still standards.

[ QUOTE ]
In Bush's case, he's notorious because of the terrible rulings that have happened in his state.

[/ QUOTE ]
These "terrible rulings" have been handed down by a jury of 12, accepted by the prosecution and the judge, accepted by God knows how many appellate courts, and finally by the Gov.