Thread: Stock my bar
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Stock my bar

Patron isn't nearly as good as others in its price range. Try the Casa Noble Reposado if you're looking for a $45-50 tequila. For vodka, you have no reason to get anything but Fris. It's inexpensive ($20/1.75L) and better than anything you can get for less than $25/750mL. Absolut is overpriced and not particularly good - as is the case with Patron you're paying for marketing. Finlandia's surprisingly good chilled. Skyy is ok, but still overpriced and not spectacular. Among the premium brands I like Vox and Mor.

For gin, I like having both Tanqueray and Sapphire on hand - I think the Tanqueray makes a better gin & tonic but the Sapphire's better in most cocktails. Hendrick's is my favorite gin, but it's pricier.

Rum - it depends. Mount Gay's inexpensive rum is a good basic option, as is Bacardi 8.

Whisk(e)y - For bourbon get Knob Creek and/or Maker's Mark to start. I prefer Knob Creek, but a fair number of people lean the other way. As you move up in price try the Woodford Distiller's reserve, the Pappy Van Winkle 15-year and Booker's. (Booker's being my favorite of the bunch.) Both Sazerac and van Winkle make good ryes in the 40-dollar range, but I'd suggest starting with bourbons. For scotch - the Balvenie Doublewood is a safe bet, as is the Macallan (anything). The Macallan cask strength is at the top of your price range but very good. The Laphroaig 10 will let you try peatier scotch. In general, the good ones in this category tend to be expensive. For Irish whiskey, I like the basic Bushmill's.

Miscellany - there's a lot of this. Get bitters, cointreau and vermouth and you'll have a decent start.