View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Does name recognition have any + or - value??

I play & post under the same name, and I know quite a few 2+2'ers from playing on Party. I answered that it does improve my game, but I think the poll is flawed.

I play a very aggressive game (when I'm not on a huge downswing, like now--ugh), and the name recognition does allow me to steal a few pots from other 2+2'ers. I tend to get the benefit of the doubt fairly often from people who recognize my name (except one guy, who seems to delight in capping the turn with A high against me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). So I believe that this does equate to a +EV change for me, although not necessarily by affecting my play.

As far as going up against a fellow 2+2'er, it mainly affects how I play preflop. I'm far less likely to get involved in a raised pot if I know the raiser is a 2+2'er. Once the flop comes down, though, it doesn't really change the way I play. I might try a few more bluffs & semibluffs because I know my opponent is capable of folding a decent hand, but I generally do that against unknowns anyway. I am more apt to 3-bet with AQ vs. a 2+2'er, though, whereas I might cold call against an unknown.