View Single Post
Old 02-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: low limit hold\'em

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing about the games I play in at my B&M.

At hold 'em, there is a $4 rake up to 10% and a $1 stupid jackpot drop.

Sometimes I can get on fire and beat the game up pretty good because I feel I'm better than most players.

However, here's the tables I just can't beat:

- Any table with a maniac. The one guy changes the whole table so much and it is so volatile that I just can't crack the game.
- any table where there is little to NO selectivity to people's starting hands...
- collectively you're an underdog to the field. Even AA only wins something like 1/3 to 40% of the time....

What's funny is that the 6-12 game at my B&M is MUCH tighter and tougher, but I enjoy that game SO much more. No one plays crap like K 2 off or little suited connectors or any Ace.

I can respect when I have A J and flop an Ace and get beat by a better hand like AQ or AK. Or if someone has a nut flush draw (not just any lame flush) or if they flop a solid set.... I am comfortable knowing I'm BEAT.

But last night I was getting beaten on. My top pair rarely held up because I was getting licked on runner-runner flushes, inside straight draws, and the board pairing to give someone a set.....

And I hate that more than anything.

Maybe that's what is holding me back from beating low limit hold 'em.
- the bad beats and the maniacs do alter my state of mind, I've got to be tougher.

But I sure like the predictability and solid play of the 6-12 game.
I like matching wits with people, not spinning the proverbial poker roulette wheel to see who hits the best hand.

That's enough.....