View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike recommendation

At your budget range, your absolute best option is looking for a gently used bike, like the previous poster mentioned. This is pretty much hit-and-miss, however, so you may not get lucky this way.

The next best option is looking for last year's models at various bike shops. Usually they change little from year to year, mostly new colors etc, and once the bike shops get the new models they try to unload the old ones pretty cheap, just like with cars.

As far as brands go you really need to look at the individual components rather than the name on the frame. Most bikes in the $500-1000 range will have similar components, like a previous poster mentioned, so then it comes down to overall fit and comfort.

Personally I love the geometry of Schwinn's bikes, they just seem to fit me better than most other brands. That being said, my current bike is a Cannondale, as they make XXL frames in their mid-high range bikes (which is a must when you're 6'8").

Look at Schwinn, Giant, Specialized and Trek as they all have quite a selection of bikes in your price range.

Best of luck.

Swede