View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: What it will affect

[ QUOTE ]
I would say that selling Pakistan F-16s rewards them despite all those reasons you listed, which is a bit different than saying it rewards them for those reasons, an assertion I don't think is really true

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree and didn't mean to imply that the U.S. rewarded Musharrif's regime for its many offenses. Like Syria, Pakistan is run by a rotten, corrupt, terror-supporting regime. The difference is that it's one of our rotten, corrupt terror-supporting regimes, and therefore gets rewarded with huge shipments of military hardware while Syria is the exemplar of All That We Oppose. If the alignment were otherwise the rhetoric would be the same; you'd just have to substitute the names of the countries. Then we'd see the same robots on this forum spouting all sorts of indignation against Pakistani Islamicism, Pakistani honor killings, Pakistani harboring of al Qaeda, Pakistani terrorism against India, while parroting propaganda about Syria as an "ally" embarking on the long, hard road to democracy, freedom, etc. etc.

It's not a question of U.S. rhetoric being overblown or oversimplified. Its that the rhetoric has a zero correlation to reality.