Thread: discuss
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: discuss

Here’s a few other things to consider mike.

How much to do you think is raked/collected/tipped out of all poker games in the world each year. I'm talking every online game, every public B&M game, and every home game, in the world. Let's say it's one billion dollars per year. This means that the hugest +EV play in the history of earth is available to us right now, the poker players. If we thought of ourselves as a single organism, and we all quit playing for life, today, it would be a billion-dollar per-year swing.

Another thing. Add up how much in rake and tips that you, mike, have paid in the last five years. I’m guessing it’s about $100,000. Now add that number to your actual "winnings" as you calculate them. That sum is the true measure, for it is the only measure, of just how “lucky” you have been. If there’s one time to be results oriented, it’s when you’re talking about results. This idea you have in your head about needing to play millions of hands in order to determine what "should" happen in the next millions of hands is just goofy. The only way I know to keep score, in any game, is by looking at what happened, not by conjecturing about what might happen next.

Here’s another thing. Hold’em didn’t used to exist. And it used to have one blind. Now it has two blinds. Tomorrow it might have three. Right now hold’em is structured well for the house. Tomorrow it might be structured better for the house, meaning the affect of “skill” would be less, meaning the money would stay in motion on the table longer, meaning more of it would go down the hole, faster.

What if the house just raked everyone’s money before the first hand was even dealt and said okay, that’s it, everybody go home?

That’s what all public poker is mike. Just like that. The rate of rake is a balance between what the house can get, and what we’ll give. The game itself is just a product for sale.

The perfect arrangement for the house would be if nobody ever won, but everyone said they did. I’ve played in games like that before. But of course I’m the guy who really DID win!

Tommy