View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Why should I finish my college degree? (I really want you to tell

i can't speak for anyone else, but for myself i didn't even have poker as a distraction when i was in school. but i definitely wish i put forth more effort in college (i was also CS). Why?

1. B/C the work I'd be getting to do now might've been a lot more important/challenging/interesting, etc.
2. People just tend to take academic standouts more seriously. It's human nature....
3. Particularly in CS, maybe unlike other majors, a lot of the work you invest in undergrad really does have relevance in the work world. For instance if you like programming, knowing the O(n) of quicksort vs other sorts and the why's really will help you make better decisions. A friend of mine does circuit design for Cray and the EE classes he took in school are pretty much every day applied-knowledge for his work.

maybe the more relevant question is, do you like what you're studying? Is it something you can picture yourself relatively challenging & enjoyable? If you know you don't like it, try some other stuff. If you do like it, I'd suggest you put forth your best effort. 10 years later, you'll be thanking yourself...