View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Bastion of Sound and Reasoned advice that this forum is....

[ QUOTE ]
Its pretty minor.

I smoke. I don't like to smoke in my apartment, so I smoke outside. Most people in my building keep their windows open, even in winter, because we have a central heating system that runs very hot.

He has asked me, not terribly politely, twice before, to refrain from smoking near his window. I obliged. This evening, despite being some forty-to-fifty feet (conservative estimate) from his window, he comes pounding out his door and starts screaming at me. For one thing, how the [censored] does the smell of cigarettes wake someone up?

Second thing, I'm way out at the edge of the property precisely because he has complained before. Initially I relied on the simple explanation that I don't control the wind, and I'm not exactly anywhere near his [censored] window. That didn't suffice, so things got a little more heated. I am not the only person who smokes outside, and I understand that nonsmokers don't like smoke--makes sense--but nothing more than the faintest waft is getting in his [censored] window, and its hardly worth getting so [censored] humpty about it, especially considering some of the far more irritating things our less considerate neighbors do.

He has complained in the past, as well, about my talking on the phone outside, (I keep odd hours), and that complaint always seemed a little more legitimate, so I curtailed that activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

In spite of being someone very averse to cigarette smoke, I do agree that this is very minor. I'd try not to irritate him further, but he sounds like a douchebag and it may be difficult to avoid irritating him. If it comes down to it, lay down the smack, and f[/i]uck his wife.