View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: The \"lifespan\" of Online Poker

There is no question in my mind that online poker will eventually die out (as we know it). The pool of new entrants has to dry up eventually.

Think of it this way. Right now, poker is on TV, in newspaper articles, and more. The time is ripe to get involved. We can expect that anyone who would "potentially" have interest would become involved now. So, we have a huge pool of people who are getting involved, across all social lines, regadless of age, income, etc.

There are only two things that will happen to the VAST majority of players. One, they will get better. Two, they will not get better, and leave the game. There is some middle ground, of course, but there isn't too much.

The eventuality is that this mass entrance of fish will either dry up, or these players will all get better. Both results will lead to much harder games. These harder games will lead to a greater amount of marginal players leaving, making the games harder, and so on and so on . . .

So, as we know it, its gonna dry up soon. There just simply won't be enogh new entrants to make it as profitable as it once was.

Prediction: I think that this year's WSOP coverage may be the end of it. The incredible final winning amount will lead to the last big influx of new players. After that, I think it's over.