View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Remembering Other Cards

I'm not sure I'd say this skill was of 'utmost' importance. Reading hands and players, choosing starters, choosing games and varying your play are all equally important. However, it certainly is a nice ability to cultivate.

Here's what I do...treat the third street visible cards as a phone number. I start with the card after the low card and skip my showing cards to derive a 7 'digit' number. Then I make another quick scan to identify any 'dead' suits (3 or more showing). Then I repeat the 'phone number' and dead suit(s) to myself a few times just like I would if I had to remember a phone number long enough to walk to a phone and dial it. If you can remember the suits of the aces, even better.

Then you need to be able to put folks on hands and remember just a few more cards that may make a difference. That part just kind of flows with experience and becomes almost second nature.

Many new stud players get hung up on card memory as an issue. Try a few techniques. Practice a bunch. It'll come. The other skills are far more difficult to master.