View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: 2005 WSOP Main Event

[ QUOTE ]
Last year, some of the bigger names tried to bully the amateurs into submission with big raises and bluffs. Like Daniel N. said, a lot of the amateurs were too stupid to realize they shouldn't be calling and made the calls.
I'd be surprised if some of the favorites didn't just sit back for a little while and let the amateurs knock each other out then go to work when the field is down to a managable number.

[/ QUOTE ]

When will it be a manageable number? You'll have to have 1/4 to 1/2 of a million in chips to be an average stack and facing a "manageable number" of players.

The key is to not bluff players who won't be bluffed, but to value bet them. Daniel made that mistake, and he knows it. So do some other players who made that mistake. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, trying to bluff a player when I know their hand is pretty weak, but not making myself realize that this guy will call with that pocket pair of 6s when I push in on a flop of 4h9dJs (while holding AK).

The smart players do not merely survive the first couple of days, they use them to accummulate chips while there are still a lot of really weak players left in the field. They merely have to remember to accummulate chips intelligently, and not by trying to bulldoze the weak players.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)