View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 10:32 PM

Default Aggressive with 99 UTG

Hello,

This is my first hand post. Virginity: gone.

This is at a .50-1 online table. The game has like 35% seeing the flop, and I've only been there for about ten hands, but it seems to be moderately aggressive for the .50/1 game, though I don't really have a read on anyone in this hand. Anyway, here's the hand.

PREFLOP
I have 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] UTG. I didn't realize it at the time, but this is funny, because I had thought about making a post today about how Phil Hellmuth claims that two black 9's is known as Phil's Hand, but I've never heard anyone actually call it that. I raise. UTG+1 3-bets. MP cold-calls 3. Folded around, I call, so 3-handed.

FLOP
A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, figuring one of these guys will bet and I can checkraise. UTG+1 bets. MP raises. I check-reraise (Is that a word? I guess "checkraise" really isn't either.) MP caps, both I and UTG call.

TURN
6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
I check (again planning the checkraise), UTG+1 checks, MP bets, I raise, UTG+1 folds, MP 3-bets, I call.

RIVER
4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
I check, MP bets, I call.

Okay, so here are my thoughts.

I played this much more aggressively than I normally would. Is the raise with 99 a good one? Is there any point at which I should slow down? MP capped the flop, and then 3-bet the turn, and I got pretty nervous. At least calling the river seemed like a no-brainer though. I also wasn't sure whether the turn checkraise was a good play anyway, since MP could have (and did) 3-bet me. There was a straight with 78 after the turn, and a flush by the river, but I didn't think someone would cap with a gutshot draw or a shot at runner-runner flush.

Anybody have a guess at what UTG+1 has?

I'll post MP's hand after a couple of replies.

THANKS FOR THE HELP.