View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Aggressive vs Passive options (3 hands)

Hand 1 -- seemed fine. I think 87s may not be strong enough to give others too much incentive to see a showdown. It's a fine line, but if you're ahead of an opponent, but not by much, making the pot bigger gives him more incentive to stay and draw out on you. I wouldn't raise post-flop. Post-river neither, since you may be right about AQ (or a higher flush).

Hand 2 -- I think the 3-bet is too aggressive. Notice that after this, nobody folded -- the pot was big enough to justify paying that little bit more to see what the next card would bring them. Most of the time, a card this favorable to you (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) would not drop, making that 3-bet expensive. An A, K, J, 9, or 8 (non-diamond) could give someone a straight. An A or K could give someone a higher pair. And a heart could be giving someone else a flush. Since no one was going to fold, why make it more expensive for yourself?

Hand 3 -- I like the raise to clear the field. And it seemed to! Although his post-flop bet should alert you to a possibility he has a better A, maybe he had Q8, or something like that. And since he checked, it may indicate his vulnerability. Maybe he has an A with a better kicker, but I still think you're better off heads-up here than to allow straight draws and set draws to get by cheaply.