View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Why should I finish my college degree? (I really want you to tell me)

[ QUOTE ]
Please assume that I make enough playing poker to live comfortably off of (at the moment obviously the game could change in the future).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had a similar conversation with myself after my first year of law school (finishing this spring, thank god...).

It came down to two things for me really: 1) I'm skeptical that the games will remain good indefinitely. Now I'm not saying that the games will become rock gardens tommorow, but eventually, the novelty will wear off, the fishies will find the next fad and the number of people who can make a living playing poker will drop quickly. This could be five years from now, maybe ten, maybe longer. But since you are 18 now, life from 30 til the end is a long time, you need something to fall back on for that time.

2) Similar to yourself, I had/have motivation issues. These are only exacerbated by playing full time (trust me, I've tried it on school vacations and what not. Even for a week, it's exhausting. Almost like working [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) As soon as you start playing 'professionally' the 'fun' aspect will evaporate quickly. Now maybe this does not matter to you, but it certainly did for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you can have a whole lot of fun in college, but not if you are stuck to your computer chair all day...