View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Should I buy into a Main event?

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW - I don't think it's crucial to win your way in via a satellite.

If you have accumulated enough wins via lower buy-in tourneys that you can afford to buy in (whatever your definition of 'afford' is) then that is a viable alternative. Similar to a recent poster's 'strategy' of using his local tourneys as 'satellites' and just building his roll that way which he intends to use for a buy-in to the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me. Speaking for myself, my reason for this 'strategy' as it were, is psychological. Getting real (as opposed to a live satellite) tourney format experience (especially final table) is important.

I also don't want to scurry down to Vegas and scramble in what I imagine to ultra lag frantic satellites. Only 1 or 2 players can win each satellite table. I don't want the psychological experience of multiple satellite buyins and worrying about making regular seats 'cheap'. And then possibly have to pay the full buyin anyway... (I see the concept of making regular tourny seats via cheap satellites the same way as cheap vegas meals--$3.99 lunch costing $38 after passing by a blackjack table or quarter slot area on the way to the coffee shop...).

I would rather win cash for the big tourny full buyins at home getting good tourny playing time. Then buy the air/hotelpackage and pay the full price for the seat. Go to Vegas (Foxwoods, Tunica or wherever) in style with no worries. Do some sightseeing while others are scrambling in their satellite fests.

Just my dos pesos.