View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Separation of church and state

[ QUOTE ]
The important question is simply this: Is it a good idea for government to become involved with religion?

[/ QUOTE ]
My take on it is this. Religion and government should not have active roles in the affairs of each other. But a totally hands-off rule is a little ridiculous. I advocate common sense.

[ QUOTE ]
The USA is arguably one of the least religious governments in the history of this planet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't necessarily agree. I believe a great deal of our legislators are of belong to one religion or another. I'd also argue that those religions tend to help shape who that person is and the decisions they make. Should this be illegal in the perfect "seperation" state?

[ QUOTE ]
Personal freedom in the USA is arguably closer to the ideal than it is under any other government in the history of the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would argue that this is partly because of the religiousness of the country, not inspite of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Religious governments today -- notably the Islamic states -- are among the most repressive on the planet. When government and religion merge, there is almost always a loss in personal freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the first sentence, but not necessarily the second. I think when one begins playing an active role in the other, that's when you have problems.

[ QUOTE ]
If memory serves (and I'm not sure it does), the phrase "separation of church and state" comes from a Supreme Court decision. This, in effect, has become the law of the land. Anything that breaks down that wall of separation moves us a bit closer to becoming the Christian States of America. This would be a very bad idea, and a serious blow to our freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, I agree with the first sentence, but not necessarily the others. I think reasonable interactions can occur between the two, but one cannot start playing active roles in the other.