View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Artwork Fees

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ten,

I'm not a computer artist or drafting person so maybe you or J5 can explain why Trademark needs $1,650 to do artwork that has been substantially completed already?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not really charging for "art" per se. Its really a charge for setup. I don't know the exact process, but someone needs to adapt our computer files to their machine to do printing.

Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand setup fees to fabricate a new mold for chips, but the whole idea of "art/setup" charges for the design seems ridiculous when you have the design done yourself. By setup fees, do they mean converting the photoshop files to illustrator and then hit PRINT on the machine?!? I think people need to realize that the inlay is nothing but color laser print on vinyl (or some form of quality paper).

Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Ten....I think it is important to see just exactly what the artwork fee entails. If it's just a matter of file conversion, I am sure that any number of participants on this board could do the work easily for free, myself included. If they are not willing to negotiate this fee....and their markup....with the guarantee of an exclusive on this excellent chip design, then I am sure that some other wholesaler/retailer would jump at the opportunity.

Keep pursing this matter with them.....and keep up the good work.

Also, FWIW......I am another apparent minority of persons who prefers the traditional circular label design.

Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

The setup fees are not charged by Trademark, they are from Paulson directly. It's normal and expected, same with all chip manufactures. These setup charges are not extravagant; I've been quoted similar prices from many manufacturers, and actually been charged twice personally by Chipco.

There will be little chance in negotiating the setup fees. We can't have "one of us" do the conversion, because it's done by whoever feeds the printer (or lithograph, or whatver they use) at Paulson. If it could be done by one of us, then J5 would just do it, he's completely capable.

It'd be great to get a reduction in setup fees, and I will ask about it, but don't get your hopes up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ten