View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: 4th street percentage?

How often you should see fourth street depends on a lot of factors. If the game is aggressive, you should play fewer hands. If players are very loose on later streets, you might limp in with (63)3 or some such if they are cooperative enough to pay you off when you make open Treys. You might play a three-flush with two of your suit out if the game is very loose, but shouldn't play that hand heads-up unless maybe you have a couple of live over-cards to the other guy's door card.

I don't play on-line much, so I can't give you my numbers. I believe that in my local stud games, which are mostly $3/6 through $6/12, I see fourth street about 25% of the time. When the game is tighter and more aggressive, as seems to be the case with the $6/12 game when it goes lately, it's more like 20%.

You shouldn't be overly worried about trying to skew your percentage to some pre-determined number. You should make each third-street decision on its own merits, which will be influenced by a variety of factors: your hand, the cards that are out, who is holding some of the scarier cards, your position, maybe your table image, your perception of the guy who just raised, etc. If you've folded ten hands in a row, that doesn't necessarily mean you should look for a reason to play the next one, and if you've played four hands in a row, I wouldn't necessarily look for reasons to fold the next one, either.

Reese's section of S/S is very good, but 7CS4AP is better. Get it. If you're in a loose game and you're sticking to mostly "premium" hands, you're probably leaving money on the table.