View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL??

You probably already know this, but Party considers uncalled bets to be part of the pot for the purpose of determining the average pot size. So sometimes tables will appear to have very big pots but really it's a lot of aggressive play which results in many large uncalled bets. As you move up the players get more aggressive so this will definitely impact the lobby stats somewhat. Also, some guy moving all-in for $5000 when his opponent only has $200 left will completely screw up the average pot size for that table since that extra $4800 is still counted as part of the pot. So I guess what I'm saying is, don't just look at the table stats and try to make judgements. You need to actually open up a few tables and see how the money is going into the pot -- are there people raising UTG with KJo and going to showdown with top pair? Or is there a lot of action coming from late-position players who are selectively applying pressure?

All that said though, there are many people playing in the 1000s that have flaws in their game at very fundamental levels. For example, I've seen one player who is supposedly winning quite a bit of money limp UTG+1 with Q2s. I've seen people limp UTG with A9s, minraise from MP with ace-rag, and there's even the occasional player that will play damn near every single hand. And that only covers the preflop leaks. You don't need to do anything special to win -- just identify the mistakes that people are making and take advantage.