View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Anyone care to give general advice to a newbie???

Throw Helmuth's book "Poker like the pros' in the trash.

If you are playing No limit disregard the rest of this post.

Replace Helmuth's book with hold'em Poker for Advanced players.
This should be your second book Small stakes hold'em should be your 3rd book. Lee Jones your 4th. TOP your 1st book.

I have always found it easier to teach others to START tight, then loosen up your play. If you start loose, and try to tighten up it is much more psychologically difficult.

One of the common beginner problems is that they will typically hold a difficult hand to play such as KTo and decide not to play the hand, then follow the hand and see KT4 flop and wish they had played the hand, then play the next KT and have it dominated by KQ or AK and not realize that they just should not play the hand.

If you are too bored playing so few 'premium' hands then start to take notes on players. If you can take notes in your sleep and your still bored, add another table.
You will find that the EV of playing a hand below say KJ is somewhere in the range of +0.2BB to say -0.2BB THAT is IF you can play it correctly, so just drop the hand untill you become a proven 'good' player (say +2BB/100 H for 30,000+ hands at ONE level)
I say that HEPFAP is the number 2 book because it promotes Tightness over EV. What does this mean?
Well in SSH you are encouraged to play more hands because the quality of players against you is poorer because you are playing a low stakes. They expect 5+ limpers per hand so it becomes profitable to play small pairs and Axs, and suited connectors.
If you crave action sure go ahead and play the hands, your variance will go up and you will definitely gain more in the games described as loose passive, but know in advance you have to drop those hands when you move up or if the game looses its looseness.

In short,
With your bankroll i would start at 1-2 and play/post hands untill you can log at least +300 BB wins.
if you can do this within 15k hands (ie2BB/100 hands) then
move up in tables untill you can comfortably play 3-4 tables at a time. If you can do this and maintain your win rate, then you are primed to move up a level while dropping back to 1-2 tables.
At 2-4, same cycle, then repeat at 3-6.

5-10 i think is a different matter where you will have to learn different skills (agression and short handed play).
You will move from a rock style (tight is right) to a stone killer. (Psycology of poker Schoonmaker) I put this book somewhere 8-9th on your list.

My 2c
Mindflayer