View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Anyone care to give general advice to a newbie???

Just so we're clear, in limit play, BB stands for Big Bets, not Big Blinds. Not that you displayed any misunderstanding of it, but just in case.

Bankroll: I'm playing for a living and I try to maintain a 1000 BB bankroll. I feel uncomfortable with less than that. I'm sure some pros get by on less, but certainly not 300 BB if they don't enjoy being broke. 300 BB wil suffice for most people in the recreational world. Keep in mind your bankroll requirements are tied intimately to how well you're beating the game- if you're just a small winner, the numbers grow something nasty. Statking, available here, has a good bankroll calculation tool which will give you a bankroll necessary if you have X win rate, Y std dev, Z acceptable risk of ruin %, and also has optional fields for monthly nut and hours per month if you're playing for a living.

Multitabling- it shouldn't take "long" to get to handling 2 tables. To begin with, only add the 2nd table after you have a pretty good read on everyone at your first table- then you don't have to worry so much about picking up info on 2 tables at once. Beware that as you add additional tables, you decrease the experience you gain per hour- you don't have time to analyze situations in as much depth, and tend to be forced into simplified decisions. Thus multitabling can hypotethetically increase yoru current hourly rate while simultaneously decreasing your lifetime earn (if your skill increase stagnates and you get stuck at 1/2 or whatever). Moral of the story- just don't take on too much too fast. Still, don't get me wrong, multitabling is great.

Watch out for Super/System. Has gotten a lot of people in trouble. And I only paged through Hellmuth but I wasn't impressed.

Other decent books include Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (required reading at some point) and most all of Ciaffone's work.

You're coming in with an infinitely better understanding of the swings and frustrations involved, and looks like you're going to take it seriously enough... so I'm pretty sure you'll be alright.

2ndGoat