View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Pre-Flop Question

Hello,

Hmm, I do not want to hijack your post but if I may I'd like to question the value of calling with KQs in the given situation.

I'm a new player and thus far I've stuck with very tight calling/raising standards when facing a raise as sugested by most poker guru's out there. In your position I would fold my hand without hesitation... I'm not sayng that's right or wrong only what I've read thus far. This is what I think in details: (My oppinion is ABC Basic, skip to conclusion if you get bored easely)

#1-In the event UTG misses the flop with ether AK/AQ and checks before both loose limpers who also check he is getting correct odds to call a bet by Hero (which means that both limpers will likely call as well for a 3-4 player turn). This makes it hard to take the pot down on the flop and turn with bluffs or isolation raises.

#2-In the event UTG misses (4real or waiting to C/R) the flop and a limper comes alive before you (unlikely) there are a few flops you can call/raise safely to isolate profitably such as with 2 overs and 1 club. There is value in playing on the button.

#3-In the event both the Hero and UTG make a hand it is extremely likely that UTG has Hero dominated and it will cost Hero some $$ to find out. On the other hand if UTG is beat he will have both fish limpers appreciation of the flop and Hero's before him to act upon so he will have an easier time making the proper decision for himself on the flop.

CONCLUSION:

IMHO, the main reasonable chance for Hero to profit from this call is to flop a strong straight/flush draw. Because there is 6SB's + Blinds in the pot at the time Hero makes his move the odds on call are: 7.50SB/2B (or 1:2.75) and that is too costly.

I'm not tryng to school anybody here simply offering my current oppinion. In fact since nobody has posted feedback on Hero's pre-flop play I suspect I am wrong.

Also asuming it's the correct move: Likely because of the 2 previous cold-callers who provide support to flop a draw and can be counted upon to pay off if it hits. My question is: How many such cold-callers is required before Hero could cold call profitably with any 2 suited 0/1/2 gappers?

Ok sorry for my long winded post... I will try answer the original posters question in another post.