View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 11:46 AM

Default Nut straight on turn, board pairs on river

Party Poker 5/10
I'm in the cut-off with A28J, EP calls, folded to me, I raise - EP would have raised with an A2, so I knew my low would be good, button (a reasonable to good player) calls, BB calls and EP calls

Flop is 37T, 2 hearts, BB and EP check, I bet, button raises, BB folds, EP calls, I call (thought about raising, but I don't like to 3 bet a draw unless there are more people in the pot), 3 to the turn

9s on turn, I have the nuts, with the nut low draw, EP checks, I bet, button raises EP calls 2 cold, I raise, button raises, EP calls. I put the button on the straight or a set and EP on a low draw worse than mine.

River is the 7s, board is paired, but no flush and no low. EP checks, I check and button bets. EP raises. So much for the low draw. I figure he had to have a set or 2 pair to take that much heat on the turn. I also have to be concerned the button had flopped a set and filled on the river and would raise again. I decide there is a far better than 90% chance I am beaten and fold rather than calling 2 cold. Button calls and wins with the jack high straight.

I don't like to be results oriented, but I am not an O8 expert. I think I have to fold in that situation. I checked the hand history and EP had AA84, with the nut heart draw. I think the check raise bluff was a terrible play after we capped the turn. I assume it was a bluff, I can't imagine him thinking aces up was good. There was over $200 in the pot and there was no way we both fold. Does he get a couple of idiot points for that move, or was it reasonable?

Input on my thought processes is appreciated.