View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: A question: The fundamentals of backing

[ QUOTE ]
I know this thread was just about buried and that is a good thing, but I really think I can convince GauchoFish and he will reply to this post (if he reads it) saying, yes, microbet, I understand what you are saying and I think I should repay Irieguy.

A bankroll to a poker player is a more of a tool than money. Money is what your bankroll produces. Irieguy was letting you borrow a bankroll in exchange for 50% of your profits.

Let's look at how fair your interpretation, that Irieguy 'bet' a bankroll on you is.

As I posted before, consider that situation where you lose all your money but $1. If you come back from there, Irieguy gets all his money. If you lose that dollar and then bankroll yourself and then comeback, he is out of luck. Seems like that possibility alone would require you to at least ask Irieguy to keep bankrolling you.

In your interpretation what is Irieguy's risk? You lose the roll and never pay him back. What is his benefit? Well, he doesn't necessarily have any. That is left up to you. You could repay the roll at any time. If you had won for a little while, you would be very likely to pay back the roll and quit paying him 50%. If Irieguy was going to risk losing the whole roll wouldn't you expect to have some obligation, if you were winning, to generate at least some minimum amount of profit for him? That's why backing for a tournament is so different. The backer risks losing the entry fee, but owns a share of all the profits that the entry fee could ever generate.

Consider the interpretation that you do owe him the roll. If Irieguy thinks you are a winning player he will be motivated to continue providing you with bankroll support. Everyone, including you, knows that Irieguy is familiar with variance. Is 50% a usurous rate for a loan? Hell no, not for this loan. Do you think you can get a loan to buy a business where you are not required to make payments and you only pay interest on your profits? AND you can prepay the loan at anytime without penalty? This is not a 50% loan, it is a 0% loan with some potential fees.

Why did Irieguy say it was a freeroll? Because he intended to give you bankroll support until you were winning. He expected that you would eventually be winning. What if you lost the roll and didn't want to play anymore? I think you had an obligation to play as long as you owed him the roll and he was willing to back you.

Irieguy is your bankroll until you pay him back. This clearly goes for any poker you play anywhere, ever. I would consider gambling of any kind to be using this bankroll. You also, clearly IMO, owe him 50% of any profits until you pay back the bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone on this board, I mostly lurk, I'm not much of a writer.

From the info the OP gave I was of the opinion that he should pay Irieguy back but I only felt it was a MORAL obligation. Microbets post is so good I don't think there can be anymore arguement about it. You either pay up or you're a welch.