Thread: 1997 WSOP
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 05:17 AM

Default Re: 1997 WSOP

Mike S.,

That was a great re-cap. Thanks for sharing. I remember walking through Binion's the night before the final table. They were down to three tables and Stu has a mountain of chips. I turned to my wife and said "I don't think there is anyway Stu can lose this thing". Of course I was wrong, there is always a way someone can lose but anyway......

The next day there seemed to be magic in the air. The thing that surprised me the most was the incredible reverence all the players getting busted out of the tournament had for Stu. One Englishman who just missed the final table (I don't recall his name but saw him playing the night before) told me as we were watching the final day, "Forget the money, I'm mad because I'm not going to get the chance to play with Ungar. Look at him, he's taking everyone to school and this was my one chance to play at a WSOP final table with the master of big no-limit tournament poker and I blew it".

That was the mood of the day. Pure magic in the air!

As far as the poster who found Stu's final hand funny; what about the big bluff against Ron Stanley? How funny was that?

Best of Luck

H.B.