View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Flopping an over pair 99 - Who is right..... me or my brother??

[ QUOTE ]
So would you have won if you stayed in? Did you get to see the other hole cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he posted the results of the hand with its details it would bias any resulting discussion, ergo the results are posted after some theorizing has commenced.

Back to the hand, the limpreraise indicates 3 likely things:
1.) The obvious monster, AA KK or QQ. In which case good fold
2.) The not-so-obvious vulnerable hand. A lot of players, unsure about how to play a hand like jj or 1010 when overcards fall, will try to limp in with them in early position and when faced with a raise will make a HUGE protection bet because they don't want to fold them, but they want even less to play them out of position on a kq7 board.
3.) Your brother's suggestion. MANY people, ESPECIALLY at .5/1 see the AK as the mother of all hands, carrying it WAY too far when it is obvious it is drawing to 3-6 outs.

So what is the right move here? Well, of the three possibilities I labeled as likely, you can only beat one. The monster has you killed and the "fish protection" hands have you beat (1010, JJ). Even in the third scenario, in which the opponent would have to be the type to play AK this way, the limpreraise is unlikely, as any player who would play AK this way postflop would likely be the type to come in raising with it. All in all it's a fold. Reads on the player would be helpful in narrowing down his likely range of hands.