View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Robert Varkonyi = Rodney Dangerfield

[ QUOTE ]
Admittedly, he's probably the weakest player to ever win one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, most WSOP historians believe that Hal Fowler was the "weakest" player to ever win the WSOP championship, considering he was such a huge underdog (like everyone is nowadays!), but many of you don't know who he is because most of us weren't even born when he won (including me)! I've never met Hal, but I'm sure he's not a "weak" player, and I can assure you that Robert isn't either.

I met Robert in January 2003 through a friend, and back then I was heavy into WSOP memorabilia. If you don't know Robert (and I'm sure most of you don't), let me tell you that he is the nicest guy you could ever meet. He was very humble about his big win, and he signed chips, photos, and even his business card for me. I've never met a guy so down-to-earth with his kind of status in the poker world, and he was vastly more catering to the "little guys" (i.e. fans)than most pros. His play was perceived to be lucky, but give that man respect. He's a champion, he's a winner, and he's one hell of a nice guy.