View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Robert Varkonyi = Rodney Dangerfield

[ QUOTE ]
I give much more respect to a guy who runs a 2:48 marathon than a guy who cosistantly won with the worst of it or cold decked his opposition. I did not see RV make a single good play at the final table, just obvious or weak ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey thanks, that was in '98. I'm 30 lbs heavier now and a lot slower now so that's my Sup Bro-esque reference to the glory days when I could actually run. Haven't run one sub-3 hours since Boston 2000 (or run one, period, since Boston '02).

I've never watched the '02 World Series, so I don't know if he played as bad as everyone says. I can say without question that no one can win the thing without getting extraordinarily lucky. Some examples:

1) Doyle winning 2 straight years w/10-2o in hands where he was a huge statistical Dog. Make's RV's QT not look quite so bad.

2) When Chan won the '88 Series, he was won major coinflip decisions 14 of 14 times.

3) Chris Ferguson beating TJ on the final hand in 2000 w/A9 vs AQ.

4) I'm certain you watched the deck smack Moneymaker repeatedly in 2003.

I agree with the original poster that the most damning fact about RV is that he hasn't done squat since his WS win. To me that is much worse than the manner in which he won his bracelet, because as I've said, the amount of luck it takes to win one a World Championship is enormous.