View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002, 09:23 PM

Default Re: A bunch of beginning Hold\'Em questions...

Well... My best winning streak was 16 games in a row at 5-10 Stud, at the Mirage.
Right after that I had my longest losing period. Went down about $2000 in an unknown number of games. (Lost spreadsheet in disk crash).

But the down streak wasn't staight down. Was more like up a little down a little more. Zig-zagish but definitly down.

This was a mixture of 5-10 and 10-20 stud with various low limit HE games (1-4-8-8, 4/8, 6/12).

The winning streak occured after I had been on the road for 6 months and away from Vegas. I suspect when I got back, no one had a line a line on my play, or forgot how I played. But as time when by it was seen that I was walking with money regularly, and I suppose that stood out. Made me a target I suppose. Maybe just gave them time to figure me out. Can't say for sure. Left Vegas for a new job not to long after.

For what it's worth, I think you have an edge when you are new to a game, if you don't always play the way the locals do, but you know how they play.

I believe game selection is a fact. Played 3-4 games over as many weeks on the Grand Victoria while I was working in Indy... never lost a session. No one knew me, and I believe it was a new market. Simple tight play and good board reading (stud again) led to profits. Definitely a feather in the cap of the "better players get the money" concept. No fancy plays, no nothing... 'couse it's a small sample. But the lowest limit was 5-10, so you had folks playing kitchen table poker at that level IMHO.

However, at Ceasar's river boat sometime earlier during my Indy stay, got my clock cleaned.

Also found Tunica to be a bit harder to win at, even being the an unknown quantity. A more mature market.

Anyway, more than on Vegas local I knew swore that you always chipped your wins up slowly, but downdrafts were very steep.

Perhaps that's a dynamic of straights and flushes, since you start many more than ever fill out and win. Lose, lose, lose, lose, hit a few and back fill...

'course in HE, seems like all hands are drawing hands given that even AA loses 7 out of 10 in a full table no-foldem-scenario.

Certainly would seem to place a premium on getting out as early as makes sense... but can't quite back that idea up with math or effective techniques to know when the soonest point is! Something I need to work on, for sure.

Sincerely,
AA