View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Call the flop, fold the turn: Thumbs DOWN!

If I didn't fold, I'd prefer to raise the first situation on the flop, or preferably checkraise as then if you miss and check the turn, the "I don't want to look stupid by getting checkraised twice" gene kicks in and they check behind, giving you not only a free shot at the river, but an amazingly successful chance for a river checkraise and some mega implied tilt odds: eg, You are dealt JTs in the BB; 2 people limp, the button raises, SB calls, you call, all call. 10SB in the pot. Flop KT3 with the K of your suit. Check, checkraise the button who calls with his QQ or KQ or even AA. Turn is a 5 of your suit. Check and its checked to the button, who looks at you very suspiciously and most likely checks. River T. Button now "knows" you have nothing and walks right into your checkraise.

If the situation is as you described, I prefer to fold preflop in the second situation (the situation being some tight old man has raised and I don't have a reraising hand). All you are doing is gambling that the guy will have a non pocket pair AND will miss more than half the time.