View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 09:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Calling preflop raises after limping: How to exploit & avoid

i think if you need a better than raising hand to call a raise, you need a possible borderline raising hand to at least limp. it's linear to me.

in your example, first off, i wouldnt really be playing QJo in this spot. i play it in CO+1 typically. its a little early..whatre you hoping for? a big multiway pot? QJo isnt that great multiway. if im playing it in this spot, id rather raise and try and cut the field. if this is a passive table and a raise wont cut the field, id fold it. there are many players behind you left to act that could raise it. say there are 4 behind, that's 4 chances youre giving them to let you put dead money in the pot...how often are you going to try and limp and then fold to the raise? youre giving too much here. itd be better not to play it at all.

i take note on the table when players limp fold when they limp voluntarily into the pot, then leave dead money to a raise behind them. it means their playing standards are a little lower given the position theyre in. it also helps me define their hand a little more when they do call the raise. in fact i may be more inclined to raise behind them at this point. why> because my hand is borderline raise, there's may not even be worth the call they made.

a raise on the button with alot of callers could be a wide range of hands, it doesnt mean strength...you may even have the raiser dominated. say he holds JTs...which is an easy button raise with many callers. even if you knew someone had you beat preflop.

the only exception i may consider is folding to the sb raise, since many wont raise out of there without the big 3. but im exploring that. and until i conclude that finding, im still calling that raise behind me too...

ciao

b