View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Calling preflop raises after limping: How to exploit & avoid

I will try to tackle this problem.

U limp because most of the time, your not strong enough to raise. If you're not strong enough to raise, why should you call? You only limped hoping you have a decent hand.

I.e. limping in mid position with q/jo. 7 players call, and button raises. Now, what do you think the button could have to make a raise like that? What kind of hand could he have raised that you have a decent chance of beating if you flop a pair? If the player is legit, he wouldn't be raising with anything less than k/qs most likely. k/q s is a hand that would destroy your q/j. Therefore his hand would likely be 10/10+ (very arguable, i'm not sure anyone would even raise on the button with that, and even j/j would be a favourite over your q/j slightly). Not only the raisor's hand, do you fear, but also the people calling. I support the the advice of those who said calling the raise with pocket pairs, but not hands that are not strong enough to raise with. You limp because you don't know any extra information preflop, since your hand is playable, you call. But when your hand is quite clearly an underdog, I say folding is correct.

IMO the question is not having the odds or not, its knowing that you could very likely be beat even if you hit the typical pair on the flop.

I think a raise on the button has a lot of strength especially when there are more callers.

2. How do I avoid this problem? You can't avoid it, because people can always be raising behind you. Have a good read about the type of player the guy is, play with position. If raised from behind, fold hands you would never raise with, other than pairs, typical limping hands don't win more than 15% anyways, but the raisor's hand could very likely be in that range.