View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Why winning players really win.

Why do people play blackjack and craps? I know I play these games sometimes because they are fun. Along those line, I seriously think that a lot of the population thinks poker is about catching cards and getting lucky (which it pretty much is in the short-run)... They can play poker and get lucky just like they can at Blackjack or Craps...

I remember back when I played 3-6 live and everyone played everything in hopes of flopping a pair and then if they did, they would hang in there 'drawing to 2-pair.' They never thought about if this bet was 'a profitable bet' or not.

But I am struck by something Chris Ferguson said during the 2003 WSOP... He was talking about his mathematical background and he is clearly gifted intellectually... but he commented that he was amazed at how well so many people can play without really understanding the mathematical fundamentals and intricacies of the game... For some, they learn how to play correctly without knowing why or how they are doing it...

You go to a cardroom and these aren't your A students from high school. Most can't explain what they are doing and they lose... but some can't explain what they are doing and they are winning players... it is pretty fascinating.