View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Re: How to compete with a maniac?

i dont think this is good advice for these low limit games at foxwoods. i dont even follow the advice you haev given at 5-10.

i play virtually any drawing hand that has a chance in multiway pots, and will even limp in with low gut shots if it is only the bring in and it is loose passive.why would you tighten up in a game where even when the pot is raised you will get five callers, and where you (presumably) will be able to outplay your opponents. people play absolute garbage in these games even when it is raised and you will often see players call to the river with something like a pair of 8's. believe it or not this is true. i will usually play almost any decent hand in unraised pots.

you have to keep in mind that a maniac in this game is a great thing if you play reasonably well because you will still almost always play better hands than not only him but better than everyone else even when it is raised.granted that you have to play well on third street and must be good at evaluating the strength of your hand. but if you do then you will crush the game. warning: This advice does NOT apply always but just to the games at foxwoods, where it applies routinely and if you try it in a tight game or one where the raisers play reasonable cards you may be in for a long session.

i dont think you can beat these games if you restrict threeflushes to live aces or straighflushes. i will play every live threeflush even when raised in these games and will play most threestraights if live. with unraised pots i play even looser.

as fas as not loosening up in these games because of the antes, i think you have a valid point especially if you dont play well or are not that much better than your opponents. but if you play reasonably well you will leave a lot of money on the table if you dont loosen up.

Pat