View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: What\'s the point of PL?

I've started using the overbet occasionally after reading an old post by Natedogg. It works just fine at the Party $25NL a lot of the time.

Part of Natedogg's post:
"When someone makes a bluff at a pot, it's often way out of proportion to the pot. A $400 bet to win the $150 pot on the river. Ironically, it's the best players who do this, not the worst. If a bad player goes all in on the river to win a $150 pot, he's got you beat, almost every time. Several times I have folded with a decent hand to a pot size bet on the river from the tricky players. Several times they have showed me a monster. Conversely, I've called pot size or smaller bets from bad players with only top pair and won."

Tommy's Response:
"Be VERY careful there. When a good player makes that play, he will almost always have a MONSTER hand. Why? Because betting $150 will drive out all bad hands, just the same as betting $400. But the good players know that the only way to get paid off big is if the other guy has a big hand too. So he bets $400 with the nuts on the river instead of $150. If everyone folds, it doesn't matter what he bet, right? But if a weak player is going to call $150, they'll often call $400 as well, especially after the overbet makes it look like an "obvious bluff.""