View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Ideas needed - 1st hour of rebuy tournament @ LAG table without cards?

Sitting here again after the end of the rebuy period (Stars, $10 rebuy) with half the average stack. Sigh ...

I'm familiar with applicable rebuy strategy: Maximize your stack at any point to benifit from a chance to double up, be very aggressive with strong hands and draws, don't be afraid to risk your chips with a small edge if you can double etc... I'm perfectly happy to spend up to $70 on double rebuys if they suck out on me.

Been at the same table all through 1st hour: A crazy player starts out from the get-go by moving his t3,000 all-in in an unraised pot (blinds 10/20), all fold, he does it again on the next hand and shows down 96s, the party is on ... people start calling his all-ins with QJs, KTs, 22, 98s etc ... nobody wants to leave this early, and consequently there's a lot of rebuying going on, and a lot of big stacks build up rapidly.

I see 64 hands during the first hour, not the top of the line but you gotta be able to play those as well; I have a pair of 33 (limp from EP/fold to an all-in on level 1), two times I see AJ (limp one UTG at level 2, fold another to an ealier already called all-in), AKs with I reluctantly fold to one all-in and two (2) earlier callers (88, AQ and AT that takes it down when the third T rivers).

20 minutes into the tournament there are three stacks of around t10,000 and two of t7,000 at my table, and I'm scrambling around with t2,500 - t3,000, picking up at pot or two when they allow me to see the flop on my BB, but that's basically it.

I just don't see myself calling an already called all-in with hands like A7, 22 or JTs ... even though I'd probable eventually manage a double-up if I did it often enough. So that's how I end up with t4,500 after add-on, while the average is in the t9,000 range.

This kind of table experience is not all that unusual - many players obviously enjoy the insame thrill of pushing or calling all-in with a wide range of hands as long as they can rebuy for $10 or $20. A bonanza if I just have the cards to call.

I can - and have on numerous occasions - played an under-average stack up to par after the end of the rebuy period, when the LAGgies suddenly tighten up and I can steal. But of course I'd rather start out here with more chips.

Is this just something I have to live with happens once in a while? Or are there suggestions on how to deal with somewhat sloppy cards on a super LAG table without sacrifying too many (and for me - considering my ITM for MTTs - more than 6-7 are definitively too many) rebuys?

Any idea or suggestion will be received with gratitute - thank you!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)