View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: NEED LAPTOP ADVICE - thinking of buying this one today!

Adam,

Haven't read the other replies thorougly, but here's my thoughts.

Don't buy a P4 proc. Buy a Pentium M. Just because it is lower GHz does not mean it is slower. They are extremely energy efficient and run much cooler. They have actually been so popular that Intel is converting them for use in desktop computers as well.

DO get a laptop with at least a UXGA screen. You'll be much happier being able to 4-table with no overlap. You can get UXGA in both 15.4" & 17" screens. 17" 4:3 is fine, Widescreen may be excessive.

DO get a 7200RPM drive. Processors & memory really are at a point where they are not the limiting factor. A 4200rpm drive is going to be a bottleneck for nearly all applications. I think this is one of the most important upgrades you can get in a computer, either desktop or laptop. If you do not want to spring for the extra cash now, Seagate is coming out with a great 7200RPM laptop drive in teh next couple months so you could upgrade yourself (if you are capable).

Memory:
512 is sufficient for now, 1Gig is going to be necessary in teh future. If I had the choice between an extra 512 of memory or a 7200rpm drive instead of a 4200, I'd go with the harddrive upgrade. Try to get your memory in one DIMM instead of two. This will allow you to easily upgrade in teh future (so you want at least one 512 DIMM installed internally).

Video:
If you plan on playing any games, DO NOT GET A LAPTOP WITH INTEGRATED VIDEO. Products that offer "intel extreme graphics" and [censored] like that will not handle games well. I've got a 64mb Ati Radeon 9700 Mobility and I love it. If you're not going to play any graphics intensive games, dont bother getting a good graphics card.

Warranties are a great thing to have. Getting a comp like a Dell will give you great warranty options. They have accidental damage protection that will allow you to replace/repair your unit free of charge if you drop it or spill liquid in it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Getting a pre-packaged system will usually not allow you to get what you want, but you'll save some money. I think the most important thing to look for is the UXGA or WUXGA screen.

Freakin

*EDIT* Oh yeah, and built in wireless is a must. Even if you don't use it now, you may want it in the future without having a card sticking out the side.