View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: A bunch of beginning Hold\'Em questions...

As far as finding information on pot and no limit, Ciaffone does write very good information. For your second question, you will probably get the inforamtion from the same author, he talks about being aggressive in stealing when no one is interested in taking the chips in the pot, at the higher limits, someone will be fighting for them. For your imporvement, you should keep records and monitor your play fluctuations. Mason's Gambling Theory and other topics will tell you what you look for in improvement of your game, not just your bankroll nd your winning sessions, but I believe after reading his information more now than before, that your standard deviation should go down as you get better in the same game. By reducing your fluctuations, you risk less each time oyu play. This allows you to move up in limits, grow the same way and move up again. As far as not winning every time, ther are two ways you can look at it, remember a session is whatever you make it. If you win $1000 today and proceed to lose $500 each of your next 5 sessions, you do not have any profit, I like to look at a session as whe I first sat down and started to keep records that ends when my family fights over cutting up my assets. If this does not work for you, then the only place I remember seeing not wining all the time addressed, I know I saw it elsewhere too just can't remember where, is Lou Kreiger's book, the second one More Hold Em Excellence. He has put some very good things in his book, and it does cover things like statistically how many hands are rightfully yours, yo won't win every session, probably will help you put some of those things in perspective. It does sound like you are going about it in the right manner, but other than learning from the books, learning with money in front of you will give you the information you are looking for.