View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Playing for Set Value

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that I have 22 reduces the chances of someone else getting dealt a pocket pair

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but this comment is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a pocket pair, it reduces the number of pocket pairs out there. It also reduces the chances that someone gets the same pocket pair that I have and bluffs me out of the pot (which, to quote Sklansky, is a mathematical catastrophe).

Is my thinking wrong, or just completely irrelevant to the problem at hand?

I was just throwing out random thoughts and consisderatins on the topic of playing for set value since I haven't actually figured out the best way to play them, and suspect that I may have a leak in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

your thinking is both wrong and irrelevant. the more people with PPS the MORE likely they become...take a 8 carded deck 4 As and 4Ks. if two people have KK then obviously the other two hands are AA...just a simple example to show you why it is MORE likely.

It is irrelevant bc i dont think this miniscule effect on other hands based on what you have has any bearing on whether you play a PP...would you toss a KK bc it is or is not slightly more likely that someone has AA or whatever your thinking was?

I dont personally believe tossing 22-66 in levels 1-3 is always right...i decide whether to play them or not situationally...stack sizes, position, and table posture(are ppl playing loose, tight etc...)...iow, would hitting a set have huge implied odds or are ppl playing rock solid tight so far and not pay you off if you did hit a set?...

anyway,

pooh