Thread: College Advice.
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: College Advice.

I agree with the sentiment that you should drop your precalc class...it seems like a really clear decision to me if your scholarship is at stake.

But one thing I've noticed is that you intend to continue to play and get better at poker...just know that this goal does not work well at all with the 100% of classes all the time goal (and this comes from very recent experience.)

When you get better at poker...class continues to look less and less appealing. Motivation really becomes an issue. Before poker entered my life, I was at least able to competently attend class, complete some assignments, and do ok. But once I started spending time learning poker...that goes out the window...classes become much harder to attend as you start to put a dollar value on your time.

Now, even though for most of the population this is a bad thing, it isn't absolute, as I'm happier and more successful playing poker full-time than I was going to school full-time. I really couldn't find any subject that I enjoyed in college. If you go down ZeeJustin's 20 reasons why he isn't in college, I feel that at least fifteen are true for me. I know a number of other posters who are in a similar boat. But know that if you do want to get into CS, if you do want to be successful in your major and in college as a whole, then poker will make that goal much harder to reach.

So, you really need to decide what you want here...and this decision can't come from what your parents will think. If what you want is a CS major and a career in the field, if you want to complete college successfully...then you might want to drop not just your precalc course but also your 2+2 course.

Will