View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Going to Tunica in May... any suggestions?

I took my GF to Tunica for the first time ever last week (we live in Memphis).
She doesn't know how to play any of the games and doesn't really care. We just hung out and drank while playing BJ or roulette and stayed at the Gold Strike.

We hit the Horseshoe Buffet at around 12p or so and she couldn't believe it. She has plans of bringing her grandfather there just fo rthe buffet because evidently he's a big buffet guy.

Had no idea that Doyle had rated it so highly. Always thought there's no way it could ever possibly compete with the awesome Vegas buffets you hear about.

The steak-houses at Horseshoe and Gold strike are both worthwhile.

Gold Strike hotel rooms are pretty good (not spectacular...but pretty nice for the money) and if you get the poker-rate you'll be rockin'.

There are about a zillion threads on here the past few months on Tunica and Memphis. Most of them include extended commentaries from yours-truly. Do a search. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Beale St is generally REALLY dead from Monday through Wednesday and might have a slightly better pulse on Thursday.
However...this might be different when you come down because the Memphis in May music festival will be starting up that Friday i believe (not sure which weekend it falls on this year). Lots of rock and blues bands on 4 or 5 stages on Mud Island (kind of near Beale Street....but the partying and drinking spills over to Beale to be sure).

If you are interested...you may want to look into staying for the fesitval Friday or Saturday ...although I'm not sure what acts they have coming this year.
It typically ranges from Jon Maier to Journey to Watermelon Slim to George Clinton etc etc and probably is bigger than all other memphis music events combined.

not sure if that means Beale will be more busy the Thurs you are there or not because the festival will not have officially started yet.

Obviously Graceland and Sun Studios are popular attractions. Neither are walking distance from Beale though.

for poker...Horseshoe and GoldStrike ahve the best games.

I recommend the 'wet' ribs at Blues City Cafe over the 'dry' ribs at the Rendezvous. Many swear by the Rendezvous but I don't like it as much.