View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Willing to go broke?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call. My philosophy is you're there to place first, so going out 350th or 117th doesn't make much of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with the philosophy or decision, but I question the analysis. It doesn't make sense to CALL what I assume to be an enormous overbet without first determining whether you think you are ahead in the hand. I would call because I would think it quite likely that my set was a strong favorite. You can't stick with level I thinking and say "I got a set, I have to play it, because if I don't, what else would I be willing to call with?" Clearly Rushmore feels that there will very likely be better opportunities to risk chips on other hands. I'm sure he thinks there is a decent chance he has the best hand, but it's not worth playing considering the risk. You can't win a tournament early, but you can lose it mentality. This thought process is not inconsistent with playing for first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh no, that's not what I meant to be interpreted. I always take the situation into greater context and try to narrow down the range of hands of my opponents. In that specific situation, with the little information available [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], I would call with my set of 2's. If I know from my gut, I'm not up against a higher set I call instantly. Now having a situation like this come up would be rare if not ludacris. Players tend to play much more conservatively early in tournaments (especially ones with higher buy-ins) and pushing all-in on such a small pot is just asinine. So, my call is based just on that specific situation, I'm sure there would be places I would certainly fold that same hand if the situation dictated it.