View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Best dealer school?

Best way is to simply play at the place where you would like to work and ask there about how to get a job as a dealer. In general, there is no “certification” necessary, although there may be some requirement in some states (I am not aware of any, but I don’t know it all) that a person graduate from a dealing school. Many small rooms and even some big ones will train you on the job if they know you and like you.

In Las Vegas, I can tell you for a certainty that the best school is the cheapest one. Just get a few days in at the school and start looking for a job. Don’t lie about experience – you will have to audition and the boss will know instantly that you are not experienced. Just tell them that you are going to dealer school; no need to elaborate.

If you are going to be asking the dealers or floorpeople about job possibilities in a general chit-chatty way in a room you are playing in, do be sure to be dressed cleanly and neatly, shave and a haircut, etc., since there is a very real possibility in a small room that they may just sit you down and try you out on the spot.

As to learning BJ, if the school starts pressuring you to sign up to learn all the games -- “You might be eligible for student loans, tuition assistance, grants, etc.” – run. Pit game dealers and poker dealers basically don’t even speak to each other, not even in the break room. They never deal the other games.

Most dealers don’t stick with it for very long – it takes a certain type of mind set – so try to leave yourself some outs.