View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: How did you get to this point?

[ QUOTE ]
How you ended up in this situation is a better question. I'm betting your one of those stallers that sits around waiting for aces or something.

Tournament payouts are exponential, you should try to get to the final table where the big money is. Try to steal pots/blinds with marginal hands. Busting out in the low money is all the same for all intents and purposes.

Post some hands when your stack was big enough to actually play.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this post upsets me. It seems to start from the premise that I, being the expert that I am, will NEVER find myself in this situation. I'm sorry, but play enough poker you WILL find yourself here. Hell, play enough poker and you WILL be the first one to bust out in a 1500 man tourney.

Also, what is this feast or famine mentality? Why do we not trust that this individual arrived in this situation by playing excellent poker? You know, you can play well... and still lose. The post seems to suggest that the player should either have busted out long ago, or be amoung the chip leaders. Again, it doesn't always work like this.

I play a style of poker that will often find me amoung the chip leaders, but more often, I'll find myself being dragged along with the back of the pack going from blind steal to double up as the field dwindles from 1200, to 1000, to 800, to 700, to... well, maybe the point that our young friend finds himself (and I'm aware he's probably older than me).

Now, busting out in low money is earning a do-over plus a little extra for my time. When I'm looking at a chip stack equal to the one I started with, four hours into an online tourney, a do-over sounds pretty nice.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've once come back from 5 chips in an SNG to win it all - I'm not giving up on the top prize, but I'm not forgetting about the money I've already got in the pot. Sure, I'd rather have T4k than T2K, but I'd rather have $800 and T0K than T0k and $0.

Tournies are about aggression, risks, and fearlessness... but they are also about patience, discipline, restraint, sacrifice, and, yes, payouts.

I'd fold AA here.

I'll take $800 and a coin flip a few hands from now.

CSC