View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Improve Your Poker by Bob Ciaffone

For the record: I think this is a great book, and it's good to
know Mason gave it a nine. The two poker books i got the most out of are HEPFAP and IYP. I read them a few years ago so this
is pre SSH (which I haven't read yet). Also, since I read them first and they are quality works everything else becomes diminishing marginal returns.

I do remember this though. HEPFAP is so dense in material, that important things which were covered in sentence somehow became glossed over by me, even with more than 1 reading.
I specifically remember IYP, breaking down why it's important
to raise in the CO posting a late blind if all fold. After
reading it I said to myself, "why isn't this in HEPFAP?"
You know what? It is. It's just that it is written in a sentence in HEPFAP whereas its a few sentences in IYP with a specfic example. Thats one of the reasons I think it is a great supplemental read to HEPFAP.

Another thing is IYP is very specific in considering how many people are in the pot with you saying things like check against 4 opponents, consider betting 3, definetly bet against 2, whereas HEPFAP might be more vague and say bet against few, check against many.

I went off on a tangent and gave reasons why I liked IYP as a
companion piece to HEPFAP. However, there are things in it
not really covered in HEPFAP. Things like image, taking a "shot", no limit hand examples, different forms of poker, tells etc. I want to reiterate: great book.
Go and get it.