View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: I don\'t want to Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
A few times it has been checked to me and I still folded because I really did not see the wisdom in playing the hand further even with a free card because if an A came I would tip my hand when I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to assume you are serious and not kidding around.

Let's say you check, an ace comes on the turn, you bet and they all fold. That is not a bad thing. You won the dead money in the pot. Do you think it makes sense to give up your chance to win that money because you won't get paid off when you make your hand?

It is almost always more important to win the money that is in the pot than to collect any additional bets.

Another point: In small stakes games you do not need to make any attempt to disguise your hand. They either are not paying attention to what you might have or they know what you have and will call anyway to see if they can outdraw you. You don't have to make any special efforts to be deceptive since your opponents are not paying any attention. If you bet both your draws and your good hands, that is enough deception.

When you start to move up to games with better players you do need to bet your overcards very often. If you only bet your big pairs and check your overcards, then your opponents will fold when you bet and steal the pot from you when you check.

I think SSH does a very good job of explaining how to play overcards. It takes a while to learn this stuff, so be patient and get some playing experience.

I also think you should read Theory of Poker, because I don't think you understand those fundamentals.