View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Poker\'s most basic rule

I kinda like it. It has a goofy inanity to it -- much like the guy who used to do "Deep Thoughts" on Saturday Night Live a long time ago.

Just for the fun of it, I tried it out on our home game this week. Two things happened, one of which I totally expected . . . the other of which surprised me.

A) The loosest player at the table became even sloppier. He paid me off way too generously when I stumbled into a flopped straight, as he and his TPTK kept calling/raising me all the way to the river. That was fine. +EV for your little aphorism. Thanks!

B) The real rock at the table began playing hands she'd never tried before. We folded -- or she hit her draws . . . and instead of watching her conserve chips all night long, we saw her double her stack. Very worrisome -EV.

So what you've got there is a powerful laxative for low-stakes games. (I don't think anyone at a higher-stakes game will pay any heed.) Based on a one-evening sample, it's fine for coaxing passive players to share even more chips. But it's not the right medicine for every table.