View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: One for Trix, Nate, Ace-high steal.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only problem IMHO comes on the river. I think there's a fairly good chance that BB figures out exactly what you're doing, and does not bluff as often as he might if the momentum of the hand were different, which is a bad thing if you're planning on calling no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying he didn't get in enough bets with A hi here, or are you saying that calling might be a mistake on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, both really.

I think if you bet out on this flop and he raises, and you call and also check-call the turn, that he's more likely to bet the river with a worse hand since he might think that you have some sort of draw and would fold if you didn't improve, or would just let the momentum of the hand carry his decision without really thinking much about it at all. Joe's line here basically says "we're seeing a showdown" which makes it more likely that the opponent is only going to bet if its for value. OTOH if we're check-folding the river then that undermines the whole point of the play to begin with, except against a player we know very well who absolutely wouldn't bet the river with a worse hand.

There's also a secondary point about it usually being best to avoid choppy, discontinuous actions against generally unskilled opponents. When you check this flop when he isn't expecting you to, I think that wakes him up and makes him somewhat more likely to make better, thinking decisions.